|Posted on 5 February, 2018 at 0:40|
Advantages of Pilates
Pilates, also known as Contrology, is an exercise program, which focuses on core strength and alignment, to improve muscle functions and posture. Balance and flexibility are further aspects engaged in the workout, to increase overall fitness and well-being.
The program was invented in the early 20th Century by Joseph H. Pilates, a carpenter and gymnast, in Germany. Joseph H. Pilates created the program for injured dancers and soldiers. He believed in a strong connection between mind and body ( physical and mental health) which is reflected by special breathing patterns that are used during the workout.
Who is Pilates for?
Pilates can be performed by everyone, from beginners to advanced students, as all exercises can be modified to a gentle or challenging workout.
Wether you prefer a group session or a one to one training, Pilates is for everyone.
It is recommended to check with your health professional if you haven't exercised for a while, are older or pregnant, or have health problems.
Benefits of Pilates
* Good posture - Pilates teaches you to gain and maintain good posture. During the workout your body is in a constant alignment which is especially beneficial if you suffer from lower back pain.
* Muscle Tone - The workout involves the deep muscles in your body that you may not use on a daily basis. After an initial soreness, you'll dicover that your muscles will be much more toned. Especially for older people and those who are normally quite sedate in their daily life this will bring benefits and improve their daily living.
* Flat abdominal muscles - Pilates focuses on strengthening your core (which includes your abdominal muscles, lower back muscles as well as your diaphragm and pelvic floor) which will result in a flat stomach.
* Flexibility - Due to age we tend to lose the flexibility. Pilates will restore your flexibility. After a while though, you'll be amazed at how much more flexible your body has become.
* Improved balance - Through the mind-body connection which is taught in Pilates you will become more aware of how your body moves and performs. Pilates not only improves your physical balance through correct posture but will also restore your mind-body balance.
* Reduces stress - You'll be more focused on your breathing and on the moves that you are making with your body. This is an excellent way to relieve stress and focus on positive things.
* Increased well-being - Pilates focuses on providing balance between your mind and body it gives you an overall sense of well-being.
How and where can I perform Pilates?
Pilates can be performed on mats in a mat based exercise class (with or without small equipment) as well as on a Pilates reformer. (A special Pilates machine that was invented by Joseph H. Pilates to perrform different exercises)
There are many ways to perform Pilates, either at home with the guidance of a professional DVD or in a class near you.
To find your perfect Pilates class contact Anika Fit to discuss your options.